Proteins are necessary for body functions like growth, maintenance and repairs. It is also a source of energy. When we talk about Protein, Our mind quickly goes to meat, fish and eggs. These are all animal based protein. Plant based protein also offers you same benefits. Let us consider 10 sources of plant based protein you can easily source around you.
1. Beans: This category consists of our local brown, white, red and black beans. They contain up to 15g of protein per cup when cooked. It is high in Fibre, calcium and iron. Add it to your rice, yam, plantain or cook as porridge to enjoy its great benefits.
2. Sweet potatoe: A very common root vegetable, it contains up to 4g of protein per cup when cooked.
3. Green leafy vegetables: Most green leaf vegetables pack up to 6g per cup. Leafy vegetables include spinach commonly green, Ugu, ewedu, water leaf and others.
4. Soya milk: Prepared by soaking soy beans overnight, washing and blending the beans to extract milk, this milk contains up to 5g of protein per cup. A healthy substitute for sugary drinks and good for making smoothies. See our “50 weight loss smoothie recipes E-book” to lose weight using soya milk as base.
5. Avocado: This fruit contains up to 3g of protein per fruit. It also contains healthy fats and oil good for the heart and body.
6. Nuts: Groundnuts, cashew nuts, tiger nuts all contain up to 5g per half cup. Very good source of protein and healthy fats.
7. OATS: Rich in fibre and calcium. contains up to 7g per cup. Drink as porridge or eat as fufu to enjoy its weight loss benefits.
8. Peas: Rich in Vit A, C, magnesium, and dietary fibre. Boasts of up to 8g per cup.
9. Native rice: Includes our very own ofada rice and abakaliki rice. Very rich in fibre, protein, magnesium and iron. It contains up to 4g per cup boiled. Good for the heart and improves digestion.
10. Moringa: Available in leaf or powdered form, it also contains protein ( about 14g per half cup), vitamin C, iron, potassium and fibre. Very nutritious and healthy and can be added to food, stews, soups or smoothies.
As you have noticed, all the above mentioned plant proteins, contain fiber which has great weight loss benefits. See also this post on Fiber to learn more how to reap its benefits. Incorporate these nutritious plant based protein for a healthier, slimmer version of you.
Like us on Facebook
Visit our Weight loss online library to lose weight without stress.
Hello guys, thanks for stopping by!
My name is Promise Okonkwo and I’m the founder of Weight loss made easy Nigeria. After losing lots of weight naturally, I want to help you in your journey of getting your ideal weight back.
Feel free to look around, there is something for everyone.
Have you tried our best selling 4WEEKS FIX ME DIET PLAN? Discover how to Lose up to 10kg or more in just 4WEEKS.
6 Replies to “10 Powerful plant based Protein source in Nigeria”
Thank you for this. Keep up with the good work
Nice write up. Educative as usual
Nice article and kudos for your weight loss.
You look awesome in your “after” photo but incredibly irresistible in your “before” photo.
I can’t take my eyes of the latter 😍
Truly informative for me, but have you considered our native pears, mushrooms and the like?
Yes, those too are awesome protein sources.