Heartburn is the primary symptom of acid reflux which is the movement of stomach acid into the oesophagus. It is characterized by a burning sensation or pain in the chest area.
The pain can even spread out to the back, throat and neck. Digestion begins when the stomach mixes a cocktail of acids and enzymes to breakdown food and when this cocktail escapes the lined protected stomach walls into an unlined unprotected oesophagus, the contact produces the fire burn.
Although a common condition which is not dangerous, it can really be uneasy or uncomfortable. When left untreated for a long while, it can develop to more severe complication. Like I stated in my welcome post, this was a major illness for me. I moved around with bottles of antacids (mistmag, gestid) and omeprazole capsules. Any day I left the house without my medications, I would become totally useless for the day.
Heartburn is worsened sometimes by bending down or lying down. Pregnant women also experience it during the last stage of pregnancy.
Even though you can get relief through antacids and other inhibitor medications, there are natural ways to reduce or sometimes get rid of heartburn symptoms. For 2 years and counting, I haven’t been on any antacids. Unbelievable but true. My former colleagues can bear me witness of how I drank omeprazole 20mg like water (very good product by the way), but not anymore. I have successfully managed and reversed ulcer and heartburn with the following home remedies.
1. Drink lots of water: Water acts as a natural diluter of the gastric acid been released into the oesophagus. It effectively reduces the ph. level of the stomach temporarily to provide fast relief.
2. Avoid Irritants: Some substances or certain foods can irritate the oesophagus by increasing secretion of stomach acid. These irritants include fried foods, fatty foods, juices (orange, grapefruit, pineapple etc.), alcohol and smoking.
3. Do not overeat: When you eat more than your stomach can handle, the excess flows to the oesophagus thus aggravating an already existing heartburn condition.
4. Don’t lie down immediately after eating: It is suggested you walk around or sit up immediately after meals to allow the food digest properly. Lying down immediately after meals will allow gastric acid to escape or flow into the oesophagus.
5. Lose Belly Fat: Having a lot of belly fat puts pressure also on the stomach. When you get rid of belly fat by losing weight, you relieve the stomach area and create space for the food to remain in the stomach where it rightfully belongs. Ulcer and heartburn I suffered for donkey years disappeared completely after I lost weight.
Having a healthy lifestyle, exercise and a balanced diet goes a long way in correcting a lot of sicknesses or conditions. If you are ready to lose weight like I did to improve your total wellbeing, Get in touch here. We would love to work with you for real results!
Do have a heartburn free month!